Monday, June 15, 2009

Brazil!

Originally published March 29, 2009



After spending a week camping in the rugged Arizona desert I have finally arrived in Salvador da Bahia, Brazil! My experience volunteering with No More Deaths providing humanitarian aid at the border was simply amazing. The coordinators of the Alternative Spring Break made it clear over and over again that our service was appreciated and I truly felt like I was making a difference as I was hauling gallons of water through the harsh terrain. I will be posting a more thorough description of how I passed my time there in the very near future, along with photos, so check back soon.

I arrived in Brazil this morning without any problems, aside from having to be rerouted when the first leg of my flight out of Tucson was canceled. Luckily I was able to check my email at the airport in Tucson before I left because my host family placement was changed two days ago... for the third time! I was completely out of touch with the world in the desert and I just could have seen myself showing up at the wrong door when I arrived in Salvador. But no worries, everything worked out and I am extremely pleased with my host family placement!

Tomorrow begins spring quarter, along with my intensive Portuguese classes. My hosts tell me that I already speak Portuguese very well, although I would say I´m mostly just faking it by filling in the gaps with Spanish. I spent the early morning wandering around my new neighborhood and am now experiencing tropical heat for the first time. This is hot like I have never ever felt in my life! I think I should just attach a water IV to my body because I sweat more this morning than I did all of last year. Did I mention it´s hot?

Now it´s time to unpack and have a nap. Até logo!

No comments:

Post a Comment