Monday, June 15, 2009

Images of Montevideo

Originally published May 24, 2009



Montevideo is such a beautiful city. The architecture in blend of old and new, and gives the city a personality distinct from its Rioplatense neighbor Buenos Aires. Here are some photos I shot in downtown and Ciudad Vieja:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I love the juxtaposition of new reflecting old.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
There is a fountain with a legend that states if a couple carves their initials into a padlock and locks it around the fountain, their love will be locked forever in time. How precious, no?

Photobucket
And then I saw a couple doing it!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Street Artisans in the struggle for art and the right to autonomous work

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Palacio Legislativo, the Congressional building

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Uruguay´s beloved author Mario Benedetti passed away on May 17, and his body was on display for people to come and say goodbye. I am glad I had the opportunity to go.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Teatro Solís, Montevideo´s historical theater

Right now I am in Punta del Este, a beach town about an hour and a half outside Montevideo. I am staying with friends and will be here for a few days, and then I will return to Montevideo before I go to Minas to visit another friend. ¡Hasta pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment