Monday, June 15, 2009

Graduation, The Olympian, Fin.

Originally published June 14, 2009



One week ago today I was in Buenos Aires. Seven days later and I am a college graduate. I am also now officially a graduate student. And I am definitely still a waitress -- I just worked three shifts in 36 hours. This chapter of my academic adventure ends. Thanks for reading along. And thanks to The Evergreen State College. I am so proud to be a Greener Grad.

Photobucket
Beckah and I. We met the very first day of Autumn 2007 in a program called Spanish Democracy. We were both community college transfers.

Photobucket
My mom.

Photobucket
Larry Locke! He's going to grad school too, also a CC transfer student.

Photobucket
Cole and Tobey from The Evergreen Singers.

Photobucket
My dad.

Photobucket
Las damas de la Democracia Española.

Photobucket
My friend Kyle.

Photobucket
Amazing turnout in Red Square.

Photobucket
The Processional.

Photobucket
The music: Planet Percussion Band based in Olympia, Washington.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Everyone was dancing! Evergreen Graduation is rad.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Guest Speaker David Whyte, B.Sc.

Photobucket
Me and my fancy diploma cover.

Photobucket
Kathleen y yo.

Photobucket
It's time to graduate!

Photobucket

Photobucket
My mom, dad and grandmothers made it to Olympia. Faltan los hermanos.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Las abuelitas.

Photobucket
After the ceremony I celebrated with friends in Seattle at the Greek restaurant where I work. I was so delighted and surprised to encounter Karen, my first professor as a full-time student at North Seattle Community College. It was an interdisciplinary Women's Studies class that focused on writing and reflection, covering all sorts of topics that have steered me in my education. The program was called Beginnings, so it was quite appropriate to run into Karen at my fiestita.

Photobucket
Meg, Kacee, Heather and Nadia

Photobucket
With George Lagos, the owner of The Continental.

Photobucket
Daena, Evangeline, me and Alexa. The weekend crew at the Greeks.

Photobucket
With Juli.

Photobucket
My old friends, roommates, and Blockbuster co-workers: Brennan and Molly.

To top off the perfect end to a perfect graduation day, the next morning I learned that my friend Beckah and I made the front page of The Olympian, Olympia's daily paper. There is no article about me, but I am dancing... always dancing. Just look for the Saturday, June 13 edition at www.theolympian.com.

So this is the end of this blog. I graduated.

No comments:

Post a Comment