Monday, June 15, 2009

O último dia na escola do Português

Originally published April 24, 2009



Today was my last day of intensive Portuguese classes at Diálogo, and after a week of constant rain the sun finally came out again! I thank the Orixás for that. Candomblé is a religion practiced by many people here in Salvador, and the Orixás are sort of equivalent to the gods of Greek mythology. Today in class we spent a considerable amount of time talking about the different Orixás and what they represent, and then the clouds broke and the sun began to shine!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
My professor for two weeks, Tatiana

Photobucket
Daily coffee break

Photobucket
Jailson, the activities coordinator and general go-to guy

Photobucket
Kleber, the administration coordinator and my professor for one week

Photobucket
Delcia from Seattle and Michael from Germany

Photobucket
Boo and me

Photobucket

Photobucket
Frederick from Oregon and Chris from Ireland -- astounded that the sun came out

Photobucket

Photobucket
Certificado de Participação -- 80 hours in four weeks!

Photobucket

Last night I met up with my friends Anna and Karen and we went out to eat at my favorite restaurant here in Barra. It is called Tudo Azul (Everything Blue) and it is owned and operated by a Swiss-Brazilian and his wife. The menu includes traditional Brazilian fare with a combination of a variety of European dishes. I particularly like the restaurant because it has a few vegetarian options (more than just pizza) and an amazing gnhocci dish that I keep going back for. Besides the fantastic and reasonably-priced food, the service is outstanding. By far the best service I have encountered in this city, and Kurt speaks at least six languages! If you ever happen to find yourself in Salvador, don't miss the opportunity to visit their establishment in Porto da Barra.

Photobucket
Anna, me and Karen -- completely satisfied after our meal

Photobucket
And with Kurt, the owner

There was a very brief pause in the rain earlier this week, so my friend Anna and I decided to go on a little city tour to the neighborhood of Rio Vermelho. With strong winds blowing and threatening clouds looming nearby, we acquired umbrellas knowing that the sunshine was not going to last for long...

Photobucket

Photobucket
Anna eating a pastel... basically just fried bread with cheese inside and completely yummy.

Photobucket
Then we had açaí... the real thing.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Then the rain came back...

Photobucket
...but I'm totally from Seattle!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tomorrow I take my leave of Salvador and continue south to Rio de Janeiro. I'll keep you posted!

Até logo! Tchau!

No comments:

Post a Comment