Monday, June 15, 2009

Punta del Este, Uruguay

Originally published May 29, 2009



Uruguay's charm still has me completely enamored! I visited friends in the popular beach town of Punta del Este, about two hours east of Montevideo by bus. It's supposed to be winter here, but on Saturday the temperature was 30ºC and I actually got to enjoy the spectacular playas without the crowds. Later, I met up with my friends Francisco and Silvana and we had mates at a pier overlooking the most beautiful sunset, ever!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Silvana y yo. She was one of the Uruguayas that I met while studying Portuguese in Brazil. She offered me a place to stay and I graciously accepted. This is Latin American hospitality at its finest!

Photobucket
Sipping mates with Fran, the Porteño transplant doing his masters in Montevideo on MercoSur Law.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
And then there were some sea lions just hanging out. Chillin...

Photobucket
The next day the three of us met up again and started our afternoon with an amazing pasta lunch!

Photobucket
We then went to Punta Ballena (Whale Point). It offers an amazing view of the South Atlantic where one can see whales along their natural migratory paths.

Photobucket
¡Silvana!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Casapueblo is a working art studio and museum built by artist Carlos Páez Vilaro. The house is also a hotel and a beautiful masterpiece dedicated to Uruguay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
La Mano. This is a gigantic hand made of plastic by Chilean sculptor Mario Irrazábal.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have spent the past three nights in a hostel back in Montevideo, but I am getting ready to leave right now for Minas. Minas is a little town in the mountains, and I will be visiting one of my best friends from Argentina that now lives here in Uruguay. It is starting to get cold, but I imagine it is going to be beautiful! I'll be back to Montevideo next week for one more day, then I am going back to Buenos Aires for my last weekend in South America! One week from Tuesday I will be... home?

No comments:

Post a Comment