Monday, June 15, 2009

Just a tourist

Originally published Februray 26, 2009



I can't believe after this week there are only two weeks left in the quarter! Of course, now I am beginning to experience the obligatory end-of-quarter sense of urgency about my final research project. This quarter I am researching the fantastic little country of Uruguay, specifically about how the people in exile during the time of military dictatorship were able to organize and practice activism from outside the country's borders. The first country to experience a military coup during this dark era in South American history was Uruguay, which caused a mass exodus of politically left-leaning people to Argentina and Chile. People thought they were out of danger since they left Uruguay, but then the military coups began to sweep over the entire Southern Cone, and Uruguayan exiles were persecuted due to Operation Condor.

This topic is incredibly relevant to me since I will be studying abroad in Uruguay next quarter. My trip includes five weeks in Brazil, one week in Argentina and one month traveling throughout Uruguay and Southern Brazil. In all of my Latin American Studies classes, Uruguay has always been passed over, but I know from previous visits to the tiny country that there is a rich culture and history that should not be ignored!

Yesterday I received my passport with the addition of a Brazilian tourist visa! I didn't need a student visa since I am doing an independent contract and not actually studying in a university there. My Portuguese classes are arranged through a private language school and not a public university, so as far as Brazil is concerned I'm just a tourist. I'm so relieved to have everything set up! Now I'm just waiting for March 21 to arrive...

No comments:

Post a Comment