Monday, June 15, 2009

Rio de Janeiro and beyond!

Originally published May 7, 2009



Hola from Buenos Aires, Argentina! It has been awhile since I had consistent internet access. I really enjoyed my week in Rio de Janeiro with my friend Meg. It was such a drastic change from my experience in Salvador, and I definitely treated myself to the mental break. We arrived in Argentina last Friday and it has been so wonderful reconnecting with my friends and old neighborhood here in Buenos Aires. Tomorrow we are heading across the Rio de la Plata to Uruguay where I will begin the last leg of my study abroad contract. I cannot believe how quickly time is passing! I begin Spanish classes on Monday at a language school for foreigners called Academia Uruguay in Montevideo, so my little "vacation" in Rio and Buenos Aires is coming to an end.

Rio is a beautiful city! I absolutely understand why it is such a popular tourist destination. I had a great time exploring the different neighborhoods and practicing my Portuguese with the Cariocas (people from Rio). The weather was also a nice change from sweltering Salvador, and it only rained one time while we were there. We stayed in a hostel in Ipanema but managed to explore almost the entire city.

Photobucket
Rio de Janeiro from the airplane.

Photobucket
My friend Meg and me at the Feira Hippie de Ipanema, or Ipanema Hippie Market. We scored all sorts of cool handmade jewelry and things!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
We met two nice ladies from San Francisco at the Hippie Fair and they invited us to have dinner with them. It was such a great time! You never know who you are going to meet traveling...

Photobucket
The next day we went to the statue of Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer) that overlooks the entire city.

Photobucket
On the train going up Corvocado on our way to see Jesus. My friend Karen whom I met in Salvador happened to be in Rio while we were there, her last stop before heading back to Vancouver, Canada.

Photobucket
The day started off completely gorgeous without a single cloud in the sky, but by the time we arrived it was totally cloudy and we really didn't get to see the spectacular view at all.

Photobucket
This is what we were supposed to see...

Photobucket

Photobucket
The clouds parted for about three minutes and revealed the city below.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Brad, Karen, Meg and Jesus. We met Brad (also from Canada) while waiting for the train.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
It was still a fun afternoon despite the disappointing clouds.

Photobucket
Ipanema beach...paradise.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Another beautiful beach.

Photobucket

Photobucket
The thumbs-up is overused in Brazil... and it's contagious.

Photobucket
Pão de Açucar (Sugar Loaf). We rode the tram to the top where we encountered a breathtaking view of Rio, minus the clouds this time!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
The next day we rode bikes around the lake and met this guy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Jesus is everywhere in this city.

Studying Portuguese in Brazil was an amazing experience for me, but I have to confess that I am very relieved to be back in Spanish mode. I can't wait to arrive in Uruguay tomorrow!

¡Hasta pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment