Monday, June 15, 2009

To the Southern Cone already, por favor!

Originally published March 5, 2009



I have the busiest week ever coming up and it already started today. Tomorrow I am coming to Evergreen to collect signatures from the International Studies Adviser, the Dean of International Programs, and Registration and Records for my Individual Study Contract next quarter. The process for an ILC is very thorough, and it will be nice to have it finally completed. Plus, I am really looking forward to seeing all of my Greener friends. I miss the forest so much now that I'm living back in the city.

On Saturday we are throwing a fundraiser for our group volunteering with No More Deaths at the border. I took the night off work to have some fun and participate in the festivities. On Sunday I have to work, then afterward I have an extra rehearsal with the Women's Choir, another dress rehearsal on Monday evening, then the performance on Tuesday evening. I also have to turn my research project outline into an actual draft of my paper between now and next Thursday so that I can plan my presentation to give in class in one week. I also have two house guests this weekend and have to study for my Portuguese final that is one week from Friday. If a person could place my level of anxiety on a measurable scale, I think I would still be off the charts.

One small relief is that I just learned a friend of mine will be flying to Brazil to meet me in Rio de Janeiro at the end of April! I visited her in Europe a few years ago when she was studying abroad, and now she's going to come and visit me. My intensive Portuguese program ends on April 24, and that means I have to leave my host family's home the following day. I will leave Salvador on Saturday the 25th and my friend is going to meet me in Rio the next day on Sunday! While I am perfectly capable of traveling alone, I think it will be safer and more fun to have a travel buddy. She's also going to visit Buenos Aires, Argentina and Montevideo, Uruguay with me before she flies back to the States. She is my oldest friend and fellow world traveler, and I cannot wait to visit three of the most interesting cities in the entire Southern Cone with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment